Sacramento Workers’ Compensation Attorneys PC Logo
Call for a FREE Consultation: (916) 288-9193Hablamos Espanol • Мы говорим по-русски
Call for a FREE Consultation: (916) 288-9193 Hablamos Espanol • Мы говорим по-русски

Call for a FREE Consultation: (916) 288-9193
Hablamos Espanol • Мы говорим по-русски

Chemical Exposure from Work

It may be hard to believe, but chemical exposure in the workplace is a common injury. If you recently had a work accident caused by exposure to harmful chemicals, you should speak with a Sacramento workers’ compensation attorney because you probably have many questions. Can you sue an employer for chemical exposure? What are some examples of chemical hazards? What are the main ways a harmful chemical can enter the body? What are the symptoms of chemical exposure? Our knowledgeable workers’ compensation attorneys can help. If you were exposed to hazardous chemicals at work and are suffering from any symptoms, our Sacramento Workers’ Compensation Attorneys, P.C. office is open to help you.

Yes, you have the right to sue your employer should you sustain an injury caused by chemical exposure. You can file a lawsuit and receive workers’ compensation payments for your suffering.

To help you with your lawsuit, you will need an expert workers’ compensation lawyer who has extensive experience with this type of lawsuit.

A hazardous chemical is any chemical that can potentially cause injury or harm to a person’s health and physical well-being.

Chemical hazards include toxic waste products and products that contain heavy metals such as mercury and lead.

Industries that pose high chemical hazard risks to their employees include the pharmaceutical industry, the healthcare industry (hospitals and laboratories), and the fuel and petroleum industry. The mining, construction, energy, chemical, and manufacturing industries also have high chemical hazard risks.

There are four main ways that a harmful chemical can enter your body.

  • Inhalation – Some chemicals are gas and vapors, while others give off strong fumes and odor. The tiny chemicals in the air enter your nose and get deposited in your lungs.
  • Ingestion – Chemicals are sometimes swallowed or ingested accidentally. They also get into your mouth if mishandled. The harmful liquid goes into your stomach and liver before entering the bloodstream.
  • Absorption – Hazardous chemicals can get deposited on your skin or the eye, where they get absorbed before joining your blood circulation.
  • Injection – Sharp objects contaminated by hazardous chemicals can puncture your skin, transporting harmful chemicals into the body.

A cascade of events can happen when chemicals touch the body. Chemicals can cause skin and eye irritation and damage the mucosal surfaces of the mouth and throat if ingested. Chemicals also irritate the respiratory airways if inhaled.

Some symptoms associated with chemical exposure include chest pain, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, coughing up blood, tissue destruction, gastrointestinal problems, irregular heartbeats, loss of consciousness, swelling, pale lips and skin, altered thinking, and vomiting, among others.

The severity of symptoms sometimes depends on the type of hazardous chemicals and the quantity of the toxic agent.

If you were exposed to hazardous chemicals at work and are experiencing some of these symptoms, immediately seek medical help. It would help to contact your lawyer to understand your legal rights.

What can you do?

Chemical exposure at work is not a simple matter you should ignore, especially if you’re experiencing or suffering from its symptoms. If you want to sue your employer for chemical exposure, Sacramento Workers’ Compensation Attorneys, P.C. can help you file a lawsuit. Our lawyers will give you examples of chemical hazards and help you better understand the four main ways a harmful chemical can enter your body and the symptoms of chemical exposure. Should you need legal assistance filing a lawsuit, please get in touch with one of our Sacramento workers’ compensation lawyers through our website or by phone.